Thursday, March 20, 2008

College Hoops Day 1, Part 1

Why not, as it is 12:01 p.m. ET, and I am number 57,833 in line to get into the NCAA On Demand service to watch the games online at work. First game tips off at 12:20 p.m. with Georgia and Xavier, should be a good one. Oh I have moved up to 42,825.

12:06 p.m.: work is going to get in the way of this, but I will try to keep at it.

12:16 p.m.: I'm in and waiting for the games to start. Here is the godfather of the bloggin' the NCAA Tournament, Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports. His is far better than mine, because he is at a sports bar and I am at work. Think I'll start out with Georgia and Xavier.

12:20 p.m.: And we're off, at least that's what I think, internet is slow. FYI downloaded "One Shinning Moment," on my ipod last night to get into the swing of things.

12:24 p.m.: Still buffering and from the looks of it, it's a sparse crowd at the MCI Center in Washington, D.C. I would have posted some picks, but since that type of thing is frowned upon in my profession, and since I was busy all of last week and part of this, I didn't really fill out a bracket. Yeah I know I'm slackin'.

12:27 p.m.: Now we're working, but it appears I am only getting crowd noise. They also have the Westwood One feed for all of the games as well.

12:35 p.m.: Message alert, CBS is aware of the audio problems. Good now fix it, I need my Raff fix. I don't know what game he is doing but any voice will do.

12:38 p.m.: Have to step away, Subway is calling, be back in shortly.

12:56 p.m.: Back from the subway run, so I'll be fueled for the rest of the afternoon session. Two of the three games appear to be close, as the Kansas and Portland State game will end up in a route, unless PSU can get a run together.

1:07 p.m.: Georgia is on an 10-0 run and lead 35-26 with under a minute to play in the first half. The wild ride for the Bulldogs has carried over. At the half, Georgia is shooting 55.2 percent from the field, hitting 16-of-29 from the field, and 50 percent from 3-point range, netting 3-of-6. They have not taken a free throw.

1:22 p.m.: Sorry, work stuff, and looking for some more info.

1:24 p.m.: Temple is off to a slow start in the first half against Michigan State. The Owls are shooting below 25 percent and the Spartans went on a 13-2 run to go ahead 28-17. Meanwhile, Kansas is up on Portland State, the Jayhawks built an early double-digit lead, but the Vikings pulled it to 24-17, but KU went on a run, thanks to a few dunks leading 31-18 at the 7:37 mark. At one point Kansas was 13-of-18 from the field.

1:32 p.m.: Since this is a baseball blog first, the Yankees play the Blue Jays in a spring training game in Dunedin, Fla. The Journal News has it covered.

1:36 p.m.: In addition to Wetzel's live blog, CSTV, err CBS College sports has running updates from around the country, with reporters on press row, where beer is not allowed, although I wish it was when I was on press row a few years back.

1:41 p.m.: Check in from the wife, and she wants me to run an errand for her tomorrow, told her it had to be before the first game, and she was good with it! Yankee update Ian Kennedy allowed two hits but no runs, while throwing 17 pitches in the first inning, 10 where for strikes ... Meanwhile, Georiga has turned the ball over for the seventh time in the game ... Michigan State is moving away from Temple.

1:49: It's 44-28 MSU in the second half, the Spartans scored the first seven points of the second half.

1:54 p.m.: If Georgia were to prevail, they would be the third 14-seed to advance in the last four seasons ... Kentucky will play its 49th NCAA Tournament in school-history ... Xavier is on a 6-0 run and trail 46-42 with 11:47 left to play.

2:13 p.m.: It's gotten bad in Denver, as Michigan State is having very little problems with the Temple zone press ... ESPN's Andy Katz left to watch the UGA and Xavier game in the press room according to the Post up blog ... Speaking of the best game of the day, it's 59-51 Xavier with five minutes left.

2:17 p.m.: 61-56 Xavier 3:20 to go.

2:19 p.m.: This is by far the best game of the day, as Kansas is winning 82-59 with 2:09 to play, and Michigan State is up 64-48 with 5:53 left ... UGA has taken only four free throw attempts, while Xavier is 15-of-19 from the charity stripe.

2:24 p.m.: 63-59 Xavier ... Final 85-61 Kansas over Portland State ... 64-61 Xavier ... It's 4-1 Yankees in Dunedin, Fla. Ian Kennedy has allowed one run on five hits and one walk in five innings, while striking out five.

2:31 p.m.: Think I jinxed Georgia with that note from before ... Kentucky and Marquette just tipped off ... Looks like Xavier has become the first surrive and advance of the tournament ... XU is plus-20 in free throw attempts.

2:37 p.m.: As Xavier puts the finishing touches off on the win, Here is a quote from one of the players from St. Mary's on the NCAA Tournament, and how it is seen in his homeland of Australia

Saint Mary's freshman Patrick Mills (an Australia native) on how big the Tournament is in his homeland:
"To be honest I had no idea what the NCAA Tournament was until a couple years ago when Saint Mary's actually mad ethe tournament. So I'm still kind of learning the rules and regulations of what happens in the tournament. I don't understand why there's so many teams in tournaments, you know, right across the country, but, you know, I'm just going along with the ride."


2:41 p.m.: Well since there is only one game, I need to step out and go to the bank, be back in a bit, with a new entry.

No comments: